“Personal Data” is any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. Identifiable information includes a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier, or two or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural, or social identity of that natural person.
How Eckler uses your personal data
The Site may collect and process your personal data to meet our obligations and to provide you with our services. The Site will not collect any unnecessary personal data from you.
In order to provide the Site users with information or requested services, users may voluntarily submit personal data to us for such purposes as receiving financial planning information. We use the personal data you provide only for the purpose for which you have provided it.
Lawful basis for processing
In general, we do not require your consent to process your personal data because the processing is necessary:
- in order to provide you with the information or services that you’ve requested, or
- in order to respond to your enquiry submitted via the Site, or
- for our legitimate interests, which are to develop and diversify our business and to provide us with insights into the type of people who use our services, or
- in order to comply with the law.
However, you do have the right to object to how we process your personal data, or ask us to restrict processing. We do not generally collect “sensitive personal data” or “special categories of data” where the rules about how we process it are stricter.
How we protect your personal data
We employ up-to-date technology and systems to protect your personal data from unauthorized disclosure or damage or misuse. We ensure that our staff receive regular training about information security and data protection. We regularly review all of our systems, policies and technology to ensure that they continue to work effectively to protect your personal data.
How long we retain your personal data
We will hold the above personal data for as long as is necessary to provide you with the Site’s services, deal with any specific issues that may arise, or otherwise as is required to comply with applicable laws and internal compliance procedures.
We restrict access to your personal data to those persons who need to use it for the relevant purpose(s). Our retention periods are based on business needs, and personal data that is no longer needed is either irreversibly anonymized (and the anonymized information may be retained) or securely destroyed. The anonymized information may be used to produce reports on trends and statistics.
You have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- To expect that we will use reasonable measures to ensure that your personal data is accurate. In order to assist us with this, you should notify us of any changes to the personal data that you have provided to us by sending us a request to rectify your personal data where you believe the personal data we have is inaccurate or incomplete;
- To ask us to delete all of your personal data. You may do this if you believe it is no longer necessary for us to hold the personal data, if we are processing your data based on our legitimate interests and you object to such processing, or if you believe we are unlawfully processing your data. Please provide as much detail as is reasonable with your request. This will assist us in determining whether you have a valid basis of erasure. Doing so will result in Eckler deleting your personal data without undue delay (unless there is a legitimate or legal reason why Eckler is unable to delete certain of your personal data, in which case we will inform you of this in writing);
- To ask us to stop processing your personal data at any time;
- To request that Eckler provides you with a copy of all of your personal data and to transmit your personal data to another provider; and
- To lodge a complaint to a supervisory authority, although we encourage you to engage with us in the event that you have any concerns or complaints.
Eckler will not ordinarily charge you in respect of any requests we receive to exercise any of your rights detailed above.
Asking us to stop processing your personal data or deleting your personal data will likely mean that you are no longer able to use our services, or at least those aspects of the services which require the processing of the types of personal data you have asked us to delete.
Where you request Eckler to rectify or erase your personal data or restrict any processing of such personal data, Eckler may notify third parties to whom such personal data has been disclosed of such request. However, such third parties may have the right to retain and continue to process such personal data in their own right or on other lawful grounds without your consent.
The Site may present links to other websites. Please be aware that operators of linked websites may also collect your personal data and information generated using cookies when you link to their websites. Eckler is not responsible for how such third parties collect, use or disclose your personal data, so it is important to review their privacy policies before providing them with your personal data.
Cookies are very small data files that are stored on your computer’s hard-drive when you visit most websites. Cookies are sent back and forth between the website’s server and your Internet browser to allow the website to remember actions you’ve made. When cookies are used in ways that could identify users then the information is considered personal data. Cookies may be used to customize the Website according to visitor preferences (e.g., preferred language) or to analyze the Site’s usage. Contacting us We have established policies and procedures with the objective of protecting your personal data and we have appointed a Privacy Officer to oversee privacy matters for our company.
If you have any questions about our privacy policies, please contact our Privacy Officer at:
5140 Yonge Street, Suite 1700
North York, Ontario M2N 6L7