Our growing pension practice is looking for a talented, hardworking Pension Actuary to be based in our Vancouver office, serving Eckler’s clients across the country.
Our consultants are committed to providing clients with unsurpassed pension-related guidance. Actuaries at our core, our team advises on a wide range of defined benefit and defined contribution plans. Supported by consistent delivery on our promises and a collaborative approach that enables creative solutions and more informed decisions, we make the complex understandable – from plan design to the implementation of best practices, to the nuts and bolts of valuations.
For this role, we are looking for an individual with a strong actuarial background. The ideal candidate has strong interpersonal skills, is a self-starter, can fit into a tightly knit team and can effectively deal with competing priorities in a busy consulting practice. The candidate is expected to have proven work experience within the pension field as he/she will support pension actuarial projects including the development and review of actuarial valuation reports. The role will primarily be based in Vancouver but will involve close collaboration with, and possible travel to, offices in Toronto, Winnipeg, and Halifax.
Role and Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing actuarial consulting services and senior analytical support to a wide range of clients, including pension plans and workers’ compensation boards
- Anticipate client issues, needs or concerns and proactively develop solutions to meet those needs
- Manage complex projects, delegate work as appropriate, and ensure deadlines are met while complying with professional and Eckler standards
- Identify technical problems and develop sound solutions to meet the needs of clients; the ability to question existing solutions and refine where appropriate
- Make and/or assist in effective oral presentations both in-house and to clients or prospects
- Supervise, mentor and coach junior staff
- Experience with asset liability modelling is a plus
- University degree in Mathematics, Actuarial science, Statistics or a closely related field
- Completion / near completion of FCIA
- 5 – 10 years of progressive experience in a consulting environment required
- A strong command of Microsoft Office tools
- Excellent business relationship skills
- An interest in and aptitude for business development
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral. Must be a highly motivated, client service and team-oriented individual
- Detail and results-oriented; able to balance multiple priorities and work under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, a positive attitude combined with a great willingness to contribute to the success of Eckler Ltd.
- An interest, or experience, in investment consulting, would be an asset
Our unique culture
The Pension practice has worked hard to build a cohesive, passionate and skilled team. We’re proud of the success we’ve achieved both individually and collectively — and we’re incredibly excited about the future.
Eckler Ltd.is committed to an inclusive, diverse and accessible workplace and encourages all interested applicants to submit a cover letter and resume for consideration.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for the shortlist will be contacted.